Say Hello to Mr. November. His Rasta Roots run deep even all the way in Toronto Canada. A man of great patience and dedication to life itself is easily displayed in his career path as an elementary school counsellor. This 37 year old natural vegan bodybuilder is just getting stronger by the day and it doesn’t look like there is anything that is going to stop him from from bigger and better things. Read more about our Mr. November Richard aka the Vegan Rasta.
Where do you live and where are you from? I live in Toronto Canada which is in the province of Ontario. I was also born in Toronto Canada. My ethnicity is of Jamaican decent.
What do you do for a living/profession? I am a Child & Youth Counsellor in a elementary school.
What do you like to do for fun? I love to strength training!!! Naturally as a vegan bodybuilder I love to hit the gym and push weights around lol!!! I like to listen toconscious reggae music eg:( Bob Marley, Jah Mason, Peter Tosh). I also enjoy watching NFL and spending time with my two daughters and my wife.
I became vegan for moral, ethical & spiritually reasons. Eating vegan feels right for the mind, body & soul. It’s a livity (Livity means life. Livity means love. Livity means loving other people in the same way you love yourself. Livity means being connected to the life source, the earth, and everything that sustains it).
~ A lifestyle, a way of living~
What is the best vegan dish that you make in your kitchen?
One of my favorite recipes from my personal list of recipes it a dish called Ital Stew it a Jamaican dish.
Here is how you recipe on how to prepare the meal:
Ital Stew Peas is sometimes called Veggie Stew Peas or Vegetarian Stew Peas
- 2 cups red peas (kidney beans)
- 2 whole scotch bonnet peppers (if you like it hot cut the pepper up)
- ¼ cup water
- 2 cups coconut milk
- bay leaves
- 10 pimento grains (allspice)
- cloves garlic (1 crushed and 3 whole)
- 3 chopped scallions
- 1 small onion chopped
- 3 sprigs of thyme
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon natural sea salt (sold in stores)
- 2 potatoes (Irish), cubed
- 1 sweet potato, cubed
- 3 carrots, sliced
- Veggie spinners/dumplings (See Recipe Below)
- Soak the peas in water for a least 10-12 hours in the pot
- Place coconut milk, bay leaves, scallion, pimento grain, whole garlic and whole pepper in the pot.
- Slowly boil and simmer for 1 ½ hours or until the peas are tender.
- Season by adding the onions, crushed garlic and thyme.
- Add carrots, spinners and potatoes
- Let simmer for 30 minutes
- Remove the scallions, bay leaves and hot pepper before serving.
- Serve hot with white rice.
To be able to make this transition work, some people see themselves as committed vegans immediately, but work it out over a period of a few months.
Get support from like minded people.
Cut out animal products in groups, one week or one month at a time until the transition is complete, starting with whichever ones happen to be easiest to drop.
Find variety in your diet so you don’t get bored of the same foods.
Get involve in social media support groups/ holding a social.
Know your limits in regards to training.
Try new things, always keeps it fresh.
Livity Fitness- http://www.livityfitness.com/
My athlete profile(s) at: http://www.veganbodybuilding.